Welcome to PS 56!
Please see the details below to prepare for your first few weeks of school.
School Day Schedule – 8:20am-2:40pm
- Early Drop Off program will begin the week of September 9th. Early drop off begin at 7:50 AM, Irving/Auditorium Entrance.
- Breakfast is eaten in the classrooms and free lunch is provided for all students.
September 5th– First Day of School!!!
- Pre-Kindergarten– Staggered Schedule (Session 1: 9:00-10:30 & Session 2: 11:00-12:30) Please enter and exit through the main entrance on Gates Ave. Parents remain with their children for an orientation day.
- Kindergarten- Half Day 8:20-12:00 (Pickup through the playground)
- Grades 1-5– Full Day
- Pre-Kindergarten– Half Day (12:00 Dismissal)
- Kindergarten– First Full Day
September 9th – Full Day for All Students
Entry Spot – School Yard
- Signs will be posted and teachers will meet classes at the designated spots. During inclement weather, classes will meet in the school cafeteria. Enter through side door in the school yard.
- Late students after 8:35am should be brought to the main office as the playground gates are closed after 15 minutes. Students whose parents are late for pickup after dismissal remain in the dismissal areas until approximately 3:00pm and are then brought to the main entrance by the security desk.
Dismissal Spot – School Yard
- Pre-K- Pickup inside the classrooms. Kindergarten- Pickup from the exterior class doors or playground area. ***During inclement weather, pickup takes place in the cafeteria for Pre-k and Kindergarten.
- 1st grade and 2nd grade- Pickup in the auditorium. Through the school yard.
- Grades 3-5– Exit from school yard.
- Late Pickup: Students whose parents are late for pickup after dismissal remain in the dismissal areas until approximately 3:00 pm and are then brought to the main entrance by the security desk.
At PS 56 we don’t emphasize school uniforms but do recommend school colors, blue pants/skirts and white tops, for those families who choose to dress their children in uniform attire.
Communication with Parents
We will be increasing our usage of the school communication app Konstella. We highly recommend families register and get connected to your child’s teacher. You can receive whole school communication and PTA communication through the app as well.
Additional Key Dates
- September 7th– PTA Sponsored All-School Picnic
- September 12th– Parent Conferences (Evening)
- September 16th – PTA General Meeting (6 – 7 PM)
- September 30th – October 1st – No School (Rosh Hashanah)
- October 9th– No School (Yom Kippur)
- October 14th– No School (Columbus Day)